Friday, January 4, 2013

How Did This Happen?

I'm constantly using about writing a post but obviously - a whole lot of time has gone by since my last.  A son has graduated from high school (youngest) and is now away at college.  Another son has married and just celebrated his 1 year anniversary.  Clearly, life marches on and I am allowing my experience to remain undocumented. Perhaps I'll do better in 2013.

The post-holiday mop up has yet to begin - my birthday was yesterday so it was a mish-mash of celebration and getting a grip.  Today we leave to the mountains for a family weekend - fun but requiring some efforts to gather long unused snow equipment and clothing.  After Prince91's snowboarding accident six years ago, helmets have become an added essential element - so some scrambling to get a couple more of those has been fun.

My youngest son just walked through the living room at the ungodly hour of 8am (ungodly for an 18 year old, unprompted by his mother).  Surprised to see him up so early during vacation, I greeted him and asked him why he was up.  He told me he and his friends (from school) had an agreement to go to First Friday Mass - and that's where he's headed.  One more evidence that he's at the right school (Catholic University in DC) and that his faith is his own.

And that's the question of the moment - a recurring one for me - How did that happen?  How does that transition from family enforced practice to personal ownership occur - and how can programs and processes in the parish help it to happen in families lives?  It's the question I ask professionally, personally and religiously.

No comments:

Post a Comment